Posts tagged ST8300C
0Known as the trifid of the north this object is also known as NGC1579. it is located int eh constellation of Perseus and is a region of intense star formation. The image taken below is a composite of 24 x 10 min images with a FLT110. The image was taken the night of 2 -3rd November 2013. This is a really interesting region for eh sky and the presence of the dark lanes which are only just visible on the main image increases the interest in the this area. Revisiting this object later in the year will be required and i think that the dark lanes will be the main focus.
The night of the 3rd of August 2011 did not look like it was going to be a great night. it had rained most of the day and when homeward bound after work it was still raining. That being said I had committed to going to a meeting of midland astronomers at the Huronia airport. With the car packed for a night of observing there was not much hope even though the CSC said it would clear at 9pm. The meeting was so so and after i headed to Tiny marsh for a nights imaging. The target for the evening was M27 also know as the dumbbell nebulae. This is found in the constellation of Vulpecula at a distance of 1600 light years. M27 is a planetary nebulae which is essentially a star which has ejected it surface in its death throws ejecting gas and molecular ions which are heated enough as to be luminous. it is a bright object being at mag 7.5 and is easy to sweep up in small amateur scopes. The image is composed of 10 x 10 min sub frames through the FLT110 and guided with a 80mm orion on the G11. processing and alignment / staking was performed in Nebulosity and dark frame subtraction was performed in Equinox image.
Image taken July 2nd using FLT110 on Gemini G11 and ST8300C. Images is 12 x 20 min subframes. Dark subtracted in imagesplus and then combined in Nebulosity and processed with DDP and Power level stretches.
Ok this was a real challenge it was right on the horizon and in the murk of Midland.... The image was taken from Tiny Marsh and just a couple of weeks ago. This is just 2x 10 minute sub frames. I am thinking that I will need to run up to 20 minute frames on this object and also use a different mechanism for combining the images i.e. SUM.
So I am still trying to keep it simple in that imaging the brightest object is the main thing. I imaged M57 a couple of weeks as a bright object which is fairly simple ago the attached is a. This is a dark subtracted image of 9 x 10min subframes. the image is processed initially in Equinox image for dark subtraction, followed by final processing is either Nebulosity or MaximDL. The final image was cropped in Photoshop. I think that there is a lot more processing on this image but it can wait...
So I took the plunge and bought a new camera. Still trying to get to grips with it and enjoy the images which is produces. The camera is a sBig ST-8300C, somehow i think that i should have gone for the monochrome camera but everything i had read indicated that i would spend just as long imaging through the filters as i would with imaging through the colour camera. The first image i took in a dark site was of m66 and m65 just to get a feel for the camera and is ability. I shot this object the other week with the Canon DSLR so it should be a good comparison. The image below is the result.